Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Water water everywhere. At least you should hope so.

Water is a crucial element for survival.  I try and carry three containers for water in my jump bag.  One metal, one plastic and one collapsible.

A very versatile bottle is the Nalgene Wide Mouth Bottle.  Combine this with the GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Bottle Cup/Pot and you've got a good combination for storing and heating water. Slip the bottle into the cup and then wrap several layers of Duck Tape around the bottle just above the edge of the cup and you've increased the usefulness of the bottle.  I keep the cup and bottle tucked into the Tactical 5.11 Unisex Adult H2O Carrier on the outside of my pack.  Overall it's a really good bottle holder, and the cup at the bottle makes it a bit easier to slip the bottle in and out.  You can substitute a metal wide mouth bottle for the Nalgene if you choose, I just like the fact that the Nalgene has graduated measure markings on it and I can tell at a glance how much water is in it.

For my main drinking bottle I rely on the Klean Kanteen Stainless Steel Water Bottle.  These come in a variety of sizes and colors with an wide assortment of different lids.  This is a really sturdy bottle and I've been happy with the narrower neck for drinking when compared to the wide mouth bottle.  I chose red for a color so that it's a bit easier to spot, which could be a plus or a minus depending on your situation.  The fact that this bottle is stainless steel gives me the option to boil water in it, if I need to, which is something I can't do with either of my other water containers.

For my collapsible water container I opted for the Platypus PlusBottle in the 1 Liter size.  It's got a loop handle so you can secure it to a bag or line.  It's good quality construction, mine has been outside in the truck and frozen more than once with no breaks (don't fill it too much obviously). 

A good combination of water containers will give you flexibility, and allow you to collect water in one container that might not be the best quality, purify or sanitize it and then transfer it to another container for drinking.  How you finally decide to carry your water for your Jump Bag is a personal choice.

Filtering and purifying water is a conversation for another day.  I just wanted to share with you how I carry water in my Jump Bag.  Do you have any favorite ways to carry water, or recommendations you'd like to share?  Leave a comment and I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment